Looking for kitchen design tips that will add character and charm, but won’t break the bank? The secret to innovative yet inexpensive kitchen renovation ideas is in the finishing touches. Try these 5 kitchen design tips and see what a lift attention to small details can bring.
1. Open your uppers – Remove the doors on your upper cabinets to give a more contemporary and a more spacious feel…Fill and sand down holes left from the hinge screws…Then paint or finish natural.
Paint or finish the interiors to match the lower cabinets…Or, paint the cabinet interiors an accent color for some extra flair.
2. Splashy Seconds – Transform the look of your kitchen with a new full height tile back-splash. By full height, I mean the space between the top of your lower cabinets to the bottom of your uppers–usually about 18 inches (45 – 46 cm).
Because the area is relatively small, material costs for your back-splash will normally be low…But, you can really cash in on some high-end savings by buying seconds. These are tiles with imperfections–most of them barely noticeable, if at all. I have found great deals on some of the more expensive tiles. Many outfits sell these tiles by the pound…usually 50% to 80% off.
Some clients even request seconds because they feel the flaws and blemishes bring character.
3. Vintage-look Flooring – Add some pizazz with a new floor made of old-school material: linoleum.
Linoleum tiles are easy to install…easy to clean…and, naturally anti-microbial.
Take a look at what Marmoleum has to offer. Their tiles come in a ton of different shades – including brights like greens, reds and blues. They average about $4.99 US per square foot. Also check out tiles by Mannington and TrafficMaster.
4. Hardware Heaven – Update your cabinets by changing out the knobs or pulls as we call them.
If your cabinets have a natural wood finish, you’ll probably want to find new hardware with the same “footprint” as your old stuff, so that the new pulls cover the old screw holes. If your cabinets are painted, you can fill and touch up any old holes or marks. If there are no pulls currently on your cabinets then the world’s your oyster.
You’ll be amazed at how this simple kitchen design idea can update things. It’s like putting on the right jewelry. Check out your local Home Improvement Center, most have good selections…or try an online store like Restoration Hardware for a truly impressive selection of cabinet pulls.
5. Rack Em Up – Install a pot rack and save on valuable cabinet space.
This design idea takes a couple hours. It adds a touch of class to any kitchen…And, I love them because I can always find the pot I’m looking for instantly. Also at Restoration Hardware and available too through Crate and Barrel where they start at $120.00 US.
I hope these kitchen design tips inspire you. I want you all to realize that you can work on your own spaces even though you don’t have a lot of time or money right now. Think of your home as your canvas. Work with the materials you have and enjoy the process.
Image Source : Pinterest